What does it take to get fit over 40? With Will Smith and Hugh Jackman rocking hot abs and Valerie Bertinelli and Halle Berry bikini-ready, not-so-spring chicken celebs are showing you that 40 ain’t nothing but a number. But the average 40+ guy or gal doesn’t have the fancy trainers, chefs and endless hours of free time, so what does it really take for the average 40+ guy or gal to get in ‘peak’ shape for their second act of life?
Tip: Make sure you scroll to the bottom to see a few of our Over 40 Success Stories!
1. Get a Wellness Check-Up
Health is the priority. Tracking just your weight over 40 is not enough. Especially after kids, beer-bellies and 10+ years of not putting your health first. Your body at 40 is just not the same as it was at 20. Make an appointment with your doctor for all the routine 40 year old testing and to get cleared to exercise. Also, be sure to ask for a complete blood panel and get a copy. This way, you’ll know all numbers – cholesterol, glucose, etc… and you compare them in a year after you’ve been workin’ on your fitness.
2. Family Nutrition Make-Over
If you are eating chicken and vegetables for dinner, while staring down your kids mac n’ cheese, your goals of a fit healthy body are just not going to happen. For a Mom or Dad with kids, it’s unfair for them to have to cook different meals for kids vs adults, and equally unfair for the kids to have to “diet” with the Mom or Dad. However, EVERYONE can benefit from a healthy nutrition make-over…ESPECIALLY the kids as 1 in 3 is overweight or obese. Why not teach your kids from the start that eating healthy doesn’t have to be disgusting!
And remember, balance is the key! With Jet Set Body, we have MANDATORY ‘cheat meals’. We make our ‘cheat meals’ a family-event and have something completely NOT healthy for dinner on Sunday with a yummy, gooey dessert. Sunday is Funday!
Sooooo……how do you make everyone happy and healthy? Easy!
- Make healthy versions of your families favorites, and try new things. Using fresh healthy ingredients and fresh herbs always makes the food taste better. Try lean meatballs and spaghetti, turkey taco night with small, low-calorie tortillas, chicken stuffed with laughing cow cheese, lean burgers with ezekiel buns and kale chips (yes, kids LOVE kale chips!!!!)
- Use a 8-9″ plate instead of a 12-14″ dinner plate. Smaller plates tend to perfectly hold and ideal amount of food for the average adult. If you use a large plate but a smaller portion, you and your family will feel slighted, but if their food fills the plate, they won’t even notice they are eating less.
- Portions!!!! Here’s the deal. Portion your food properly for each family member. In my house, we have Rob, myself and our 14 year old. Example: If I’m cooking chicken stir fry with brown rice and stir fry veggies. Rob gets 6 ounces of chicken, 1/2-3/4 cup of rice (depending on which Jet Set Body nutrition phase he’s on) myself and my daughter get about 4 ounces of chicken, 1/3-1/2 cup rice, as we’re about the same size. Rob also gets a little more in the stir fry veggie department too. So, when you look at the plates, Rob’s has more food and my daughter and I were about the same. Now, when she was younger, it looked like the 3 little bears. Small, medium and large portions.
3. Train Hard and Change Up It Up Often
To spark your metabolism, and avoid hitting plateaus you’re going to train hard and change up your training and change it often! This means the days of walking on the treadmill for 45 minutes 5 times a week is OVER. There are 3 important parts of exercise for my peeps that are over 40.
- Part 1: Resistance Training – YOU NEED A PLAN! Don’t walk into the gym without one, going aimlessly from one piece of equipment to another, just because the machines are next to each other. With Jet Set Body we have a 4 days per week weight training schedule that changes every 4 weeks. And not everything is about equipment. Our weekly functional workouts get you super sweaty is 30-45 minutes with little to no equipment. You can even do those workouts in your house!
- Part 2: Cardio – With Jet Set Body we suggest enough cardio to (1) get your heart healthy (2) tweak your results. We suggest mixing up steady-state cardio and HIIT cardio for optimum results. (HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training) Your days of being a cardio Queen are OVER! If you’re not sweaty 6-7 minutes into your cardio, or you feel like you can chat on the phone easily, crank up the resistance or speed, the goal is to burn those calories and pump that heart!!!!
- Part 3: Core & Stretching – As you get older, you get less flexible and more stiff. As you get into your golden years, if you haven’t maintained your core strength and flexibility accidents begin to happen. You can no longer reach things on high shelves, you fall down the stairs, etc… Core ab exercises, post-workout stretching for 15 minutes or maybe a yoga/Pilates class is just what you need to make sure this doesn’t happen to you!
4. Make Water a Priority!
Water is second only to oxygen in its importance to life. Why?
- Water helps remove toxins from your system, improves skin texture and appearance (ahem…wrinkles).
- The more you sweat, the more you need to re-hydrate.
- Your muscles need water to push hard in the gym. The more hydrated, the harder you will be able to work.
- Water helps reduce bloat!!! People have lost 5-10 lbs JUST drinking water.
So, how much? Drinking 3/4 – 1 gallon every…..single….day. No excuses, no exceptions. Yes, you’re gonna pee. You’re supposed to! It’s called getting rid of water weight and bloat. You’re also gonna do #2 more often – who needs prune juice when you have water and veggies! Can I drink too much? According to medical professionals, if you have a healthy heart and kidneys, it is hard to drink too much fluid. So….drink up!
5. Consistency is KEY!!!!
The best way to stay consistent is by making your nutrition and fitness a priority. Set a goal and a deadline. The reason Jet Set Body is a 90 day program is because we feel people can commit to 90 days of balls-to-the-wall commitment. Set a goal for day 90 – maybe it’s a fitness photo shoot, a vacation where you’ll don the new bikini – something that excites you and gives you the butterflies. also, let your family and friends know about your mission. They’ll support you and keep you honest!
The people that make the commitment, see BIG results! Regardless of the program you plan to do, be patient. If the plan is 90 days, then give it 90 days. Don’t quit. And realize you only get out of it, what you are willing to put into it.