I hate any diet that denies you the right enjoy a cupcake! That’s just not realistic! And- yes, will ultimately lead you to failure….once again. I have found that striking a balance is KEY to LONG TERM success!
Sooo….I give you permission….NO….I am FORCING you to enjoy a cupcake every now and then!
This leads me to my next point. Make your indulgences worth while! Don’t just grab some crappy candy bar that has been on the shelf for a year- NOT WORTH IT! However, biting into an absolutely amazing, delightful dessert- THAT is something worth eating broccoli all week for!
Here is my Holy-Shitballs – completely delicious – incredible – amazing – I can’t believe I’m giving this away …..okay you get it….Tres Leche Cupcake Recipe!
1/4 c. Organic Shortening
1 stick Unsalted Organic Butter, room temperature
1 c. Organic Sugar
3 Eggs, separated
1/2 tsp Natural Almond Extract
1 c. Light, Pre-sifted, All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 c. Buttermilk
1/2 c. Evaporated Milk
1/2 c. Organic Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 c. Organic Light Coconut Milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, preferably a stand-up mixer with a flat paddle, cream the shortening, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy on medium speed, usually about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add egg yolks 1 at a time to the mixture, beating until all the yellow disappears. Add the vanilla, beat again for 3 minutes.
4. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until combine. Add half the buttermilk to the creamed mixture, mix till combined. Then 1/3 of the dry ingredients, mix till combined. Add the remaining buttermilk, mix till combined and then the remaining flour and mix till combined.
5. In a chilled small bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold carefully into cake batter until combined – but do not stir.
6. Spray paper muffin cup liners with non-stick spray. Then fill 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to wire rack that has been placed over a baking sheet to cool.
7. While cupcakes are cooling, whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and the coconut milk. Using a meat injector needle, inject each cupcake in several different spots with about 1/2 to 3/4-ounce of the mixture. Or, poke several holes in the top of each of the cupcakes with a 1/4-inch wooden skewer. Pour the milk mixture over each cupcake while they are still warm, filling each hole. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight before icing.
Kim’s Perfect Buttercream Recipe
2 sticks Unsalted Organic Butter, room temperature
4 c. (1 box) Organic Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Natural Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 tsp Natural Almond Extract
3 TBSP Heavy Whipping Cream
1. 2. In a large mixing bowl, preferably a stand-up mixer with a flat paddle, cream the butter for 5-6 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and blend starting on low speed, moving to high, until incorporated. Repeat until all powdered sugar has been used.
3. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and blend on high for 3 minutes.
4. Add the cream and blend for another 3 minutes or until you reach the desired fluffiness of the frosting.
5. Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!