With a new year only days a way, I thought I’d bring some new recipes your way to get the year (and your 2017 fitness goals) started off right!
Bison Sweet Potato Hash
(adaptation of Caveman Cooking recipe)
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I love Trader Joe’s frozen garlic cubes)
- 1/2 lb grass fed bison
- 2 cups shredded sweet potato
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 TBSP Flavor God Everything (or Everything Spicy if you want a little extra kick)
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 avocado
- Turn your ovens broiler on high.
- Preheat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and place your coconut oil in the pan.
- Add your diced onion to the pan and stir for about 3 minutes until they start to get soft.
- Add in your peppers and garlic and continually stir for 1 minute.
- Add in your ground bison until barely browned, do not overcook (it denatures the meat).
- Add your sweet potato and saute, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until your sweet potatoes soften.
- Add your spinach to the pan and stir often until your spinach starts to wilt which should take 2 minutes.
- Make 4 small wells around your mixture and crack an egg in each well.
- Place your pan six inches under your broiler and cook to your liking (2 minutes should get you really runny yolks, 3 minutes will almost be a solid yolk and 4 minutes will be a hard yolk).
- Remove from the oven and serve right from the pan and enjoy!
Cleaned Up Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter, melted
- 1 TBSP marinara
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spray a large baking dish with olive oil.
- Combine almond meal and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl. Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Lightly spray a little more olive oil on top and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spoon 1 tbsp sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with 1 tbsp of the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
Sweet & Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lbs Brussels sprouts (I like Trader Joe’s frozen ones bc they’ve been blanched already!)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 TBSP sriracha
- 3 TBSP local, organic honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray roasting pan with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, salt, sriracha, lime and honey.
- Cut sprouts in half, then toss in mixture to coat. Once all coated evenly, add them to the prepared pan.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, turns the sprouts a few times throughout the cooking process to roast evenly. Roast until crisp and golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Remove sprouts from oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy immediately!